Saturday, July 25, 2015

Halfway point for my game, looking back

Based on my current progress with my RM VX Ace project, it's about halfway finished, and now I want to look back on my work a little and go over some of my trials and tribulations in doing so:


* I learned a lot more about copyright - Given my work is a fan remake of a commercial game, I use some content from the original for parody/fanfiction purposes, though I have been attempting to fill in blanks wherever possible with my own work on content I can acquire full licenses to use, and even though I've seen Dragon Quest fan projects made up entirely of stock assets from the games themselves, I've been trying to make at least 80% of my game original, and as I stated in the credits for my game, my fan game is meant to honor and promote the originals, classics I'm sure my pale imitation will never meet or exceed in quality, and Square Enix and any other parties I have used licensed assets from will have my full cooperation in the event of legal disputes, and to keep my project from being damaging to their properties, I again repeat my promise this project will always be free and I will never authorize anyone else to make a profit off of it without legal permission from the copyright owners, because as a fan, I want people to buy the original games so that more Dragon Quest titles might be produced.


* I've learned a lot more about coding - While I'm no expert Ruby coder by any means, RM VX Ace had taught me quite a bit about how it works, and while I'm still laughably poor at writing my own code, I'm fairly decent at tweaking it and bug testing it now.


* I've learned game development is not for the lazy - Game development is a tedious process. You can't just throw crap at the wall and give people what sticks. You have to bugtest that crap on the wall, make sure it all works, and make sure it all sticks in the right places.


* I've learned making a game is something you do for others as much as yourself. - Game development can be good for the ego, as you are essentially a god of your own little world, but it's not just a self centered ego trip. You also make a game for your intended audience, and that means if they say it needs work, you bust your ass to get it right so they enjoy it as much as you do.

* I've learned it's a labor of love - Game development is, as mentioned earlier, tedious, but if you stick with it, the rewards are more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Farewell to My Father

 My father just passed April 1, 2024 6:36 PM. For those reading this, I want to make absolutely clear the world lost a great man named John ...