Saturday, August 15, 2015

An email I wrote to Maddy Myers, writer for The Mary Sue concerning her Twine Game

Below is the complete text of an email I sent Maddy Myers, a feminist writer for The Mary Sue. I wrote it after trying out her Twine game (which isn't too shabby), and which can be found here:

http://maddymyers.itch.io/siren-for-hire

I am publishing the text of this email because I want to take apart the conceit that Gamergaters hate women, especially those trying to do anything related to gaming. In fact, I'm grateful she decided to make her work public and wish for her continued success, as the below should demonstrate:

I saw that Twine game you created on your Twitter feed, have tried it out, and so far, I like it.

Your writing shows great skill, and I like the deconstruction of the magical girl premise. The actual technical structure of the game shows you have a good grasp of coding, and I like how the structure seems more interactive than a typical CYOA (Choose your own adventure game).

It's somewhat dark, and not my usual cup of tea, but it is well written, and as a fellow game developer (I'm making a game in RPG Maker VX Ace), I wanted to compliment you on your work and encourage you to make further games, you've done well with this one as far as I can tell.

For transparency reasons, I've heard of you via Twitter and via your Mary Sue work (you might know me as GethN7 on Twitter, currently suspended for reasons I have appealed), and while I don't completely agree with some of your editorials, I still believe you have excellent writing skills, and as a fellow gamer, I wanted to compliment and encourage your skill in that regard and wish you the best.

I also manage the All The Tropes Wiki, and if I can find the time (I am staff for the Orain wiki farm and have other matter that keep me busy most of the time), I plan to make a page about your game on my site, which you can find here:

https://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Main_Page

Finally, I wanted to let you know, again for transparency, I am pro-Gamergate, but I'm incredibly pleased to see a female game developer produce work as fine as yours and hope other women succeed in that field and other endeavors they wish to pursue (and I condemn the harassment or hatred of any woman, as a feminist myself I'm appalled anyone could feel that way about women), and you have my prayers and best wishes on your continued success as a journalist, gamer, and person.


Update: Since this was first written, we have relocated to:

https://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say that your reactions of disgust over what I said at that SXSW comments section were completely appropriate. I was trying to see if people would like horrible, tasteless comments just because they were aimed at Gamergate, and I guess that they did.

    The line about having support for GG "branded into your skin and never forgotten" was taken directly from the twitter of Alex Lifschitz (Zoe's current boyfriend). This tweet really disturbed me because it reminded me of the number tattoos that Auschwitz inmates got, and Alex is Jewish (as am I) and really should have known better than to say something like that. I was extremely disappointed that I got a like from Arthur Chu over that comment.

    I don't support GG (in fact, I strongly dislike most of the prominent figures in GG), but what I really hate is the hypocrisy of GG critics. I'm quite left-wing in my politics, but I hate vitriolic discourse no matter who it comes from.

    I'm sorry for offending you and hope that you can forgive me. I think you've been very courteous in all your internet postings and you don't deserve to be lambasted just because people think you're on the wrong side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

      Second, thanks for the clarification. I'm mostly a Gamergater more because most of the antiGGers really disgust me with their inconsistency, and hypocrisy, so believe me, I can understand why you'd find some GGers to be abhorrent, the side I aligned myself with has some real scumbags that I'm ashamed of, and many of which (like the MRA's) I have no desire to associate with.

      As for wanting forgiveness, you have it without reservation. I value civil discourse myself, and since I believe it's best to love your enemies and try to show compassion to everyone (both for personal and religious reasons), I would be a hypocrite if I didn't accept your apology, and if I was ever impolite to you, please accept my apologies.

      Finally, at the end of the day, I just oppose hatred and hypocrisy, and I want to get along with whomever wants to get along with me, and if we can do that despite opposing points of view, so much the better, because at the end of the day, we're all human beings deserving of dignity despite our differing beliefs.

      P.S. - I thought that comment sounded familiar, appreciate the reminder, and yes, I'm too am disappointed Arthur felt something so vile was worthy of praise, my prayers are that whatever poison that seeped into his soul to approve of such feelings leave him, as becoming so twisted by hate you wish death, injury, and degradation on other is something I wish on no one.

      Delete

A Farewell to My Father

 My father just passed April 1, 2024 6:36 PM. For those reading this, I want to make absolutely clear the world lost a great man named John ...